A mother and her breastfed baby have unique needs when it comes to having additional newborn care like a postpartum doula or night nanny. This is even more true for overnight newborn care for a breastfed baby! Your Night Nanny or Postpartum Doula needs to have a special skill set to facilitate those needs and help you and your baby get the most out of having an extra set of hands! Safety and a quality experience is your Night Nanny or Postpartum doulas goal!
What should your Night Nanny know when caring for a breastfed baby overnight?
- Understanding feeding cues from a breastfed baby
- Knowledge of how often a breastfed baby needs to nurse
- Best ways to burp baby after feeding (needed for any type of infant feeding)
- Understanding breastfeeding for a baby can and often is for comfort
- Knowledge of baby's digestion of breastmilk
- Willing to accommodate parents wishes not to use a soother or pacifier (nipple confusion)
- Willing to help introduce bottle feedings and patience as the baby adjusts
- Knowledge of proper breastmilk storage, handling and heating.
What should your Night Nanny know to help you as the breastfeeding mother?
- Knowledge and training of breastfeeding including latch and positions
- Milk production and when milk comes in after birth
- Tips to help with engorgement
- Knowledge of products that help a variety of breastfeeding issues
- Knows how to clean and sanitize pump parts
What your Night Nanny can do for you and baby overnight!
- Assistance establishing a night time feeding plan
- If desired, gently wake mom for feeding
- Bring her a drink or snack for feeding (many moms become very thirsty while nursing and need water with each feeding)
- Bring her supplies needed like nipple shield or burp rag
- Burp and change newborn after feeding and get baby back to sleep
- If desired, give bottle of pumped milk or formula so mom can sleep the entire night
- Clean any pump parts or bottles
- Help store and label any pumped milk during the night
- If desired, help remind mom of times to pump so you doesn't lose supply or become engorged and sore.
- Provide education on products, breastfeeding, hunger cues, sleep routines and normal diaper output for a breastfed baby.
- Change diapers
- Keep nursery tidy and stocked
If you are a nursing mother or plan to be and still want to have the support overnight from a Night Nanny or Postaprtum Doula we can help! We want to help you succeed in your goals for breastfeeding AND sleep!